Monday, October 12, 2009

More Beale

Zipper--at the crossroads of Beale Street and Rufus Thomas! How kewl is that?
Rufus Thomas was a rhythm and blues, funk and soul singer and comedian from Memphis, TN.
Rufus Thomas is credited for discovering B.B. King. I LOVE B.B. King.
Thomas was inducted into the Blues Hall of Fame in 2001. In that same year, he died of heart failure at the age of 84.
This street off Beale Street was named in his honor!
An evening on Beale Street. Isn't this pretty? I love all the colors in the sky and in the neon signs.

Here I am in a restaurant/bar on Beale Street. Can you read what the cup says? It's Zip's beer because I don't drink beer but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to "pose" with it.
Here's a photo of Beale Street during the day. Quite a difference huh?
I don't know why there are cars parked on the street because Beale Street is for pedestrians only. During the evenings, there are young men who perform for tips. They do the most amazing cartwheels down the road. They go on and on and on--it's truly amazing. Can you imagine how much it would hurt if "body meets the road" in a cartwheel gone wrong? Yikes! Ouch!

No comments: