Saturday, September 12, 2009

Sunflower Mania and Cows

The calf--just born! Mama is "tarred." Took two midwives pulling and pulling and pulling some more to get the calf out. The calf weighed 86 pounds!!!! Yikes! The "free roam" area for the dairy cows.
The cow corral where the cows are milked.
Even though my most favorite flower is the carnation , I can't help but love sunflowers too.
Here I am with a HUGE sunflower (with no petals though). I bought this for $2 and my plan is to plant the seeds! Wish me luck because I'm terrible with plants.
If you are wondering where in the heck are we--well, we are in Fair Oaks, IN, hmmmm maybe about 50 or 60 miles from the Chicago area.

This is basically a dairy farm and while driving to Louisville, we saw a sign that said, "We dairy you to stop and visit!"
Then a few miles later, a sign that said, "We double dairy you to stop and visit."
Well. . . I'm not one to NOT take a double dairy, so we stopped. OMG, we were there for over 3 hours! It was soooooooooooooooo much fun but I was very surprised to find out that milk doesn't magically appear in cartons or bottles in the grocery stores--that milk actually comes from cows!!!! Who knew?

I just love these dark sunflowers!!!
We ended our visit with a stop at the gift shop of course and we each bought a bottle of their milk. As we continued our drive to Louisville, we ate the rest of our Dunkin' Donuts (my favorite, with any and all donuts a close second) and washed it all down with some milk. The ONLY way this could have gotten better was if, at the next exit, there was a Taco Cabana! :} We are both going through Mexican food withdrawal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

really a wonderful day for you! nice pictures!

Natalie said...

Your pictures are beautiful. I have never seen dark sunflowers before but they are astonishing. Thank you for sharing!