Friday, October 17, 2008

Wishing For MORE Nickels!





Under the boardwalk down by the sea
On a blanket with my baby ... is where I'll be
How many of you know that song? I LOVE that song. I could listen to it all day long. I even pretend I can sing and I sing some of the words.
Well, here we are in Atlantic City, walking on the Boardwalk!!!! We are NOT under it by no means though.
We walked up one side and then down the other. It's not a particularly PRETTY place. I was surprised how messy some places were. Not all the shops were open and those that were all seem to have basically the same items. But it really didn't matter because I can't tell you how long I have wanted to walk down the Boardwalk in Atantic City. You can say it was kinda on my "mental" bucket list.
We walked and walked and walked. After a couple of hours, we were getting a bit chilled so decided to get a some hazelnut hot chocolate (Zip) and a tall vanilla latte (me) at a Starbucks on the Boardwalk. And what goes better with hot chocolate and a latte????? Pumpkin bread, which we shared.
For dinner, we stopped at a Johnny Rocket's Burger Joint. If you have never eaten here, let me tell you, it's a fun place to eat. I love their burgers too.
Their "hamburger patties are a full 1/3 pound of fresh, never frozen 100% pure ground beef, seasoned and grilled to order."
At each booth, there's a nickel jukebox. While waiting for our food, I flipped through the pages of songs. I asked Zip for some nickels; he said there were two in this little paper bowl on the table. So I inserted one nickel and picked a song.
Can you guess the song I picked? Yep--Under the Boardwalk by the Drifters. I waited for MY song to play.
After about 2 - 3 songs, MY song played. Oh I was so happy. Sitting with Zip, eating a yummy burger, in Atlantic City, ON the Boardwalk, listening to "Under The Boardwalk." Can life get any sweeter?
After MY song played, the other nickel in the paper bowl was talking to me--"use me to play another song"!
So I did but it wasn't a different song. I wanted to hear "Under The Boardwalk" AGAIN.
No you didn't. Oh yes, I did!
So after another song played, MY song played again. Oh my goodness, I was so happy. Did I tell you that I LOVE that song?
I then asked Zip if he had any nickels. He did! Two of them. I grabbed them and selected MY song two more times. I looked around the restaurant to see if anybody was annoyed or something but all I saw now was some people singing along with the song! Oh yeah! It's a GREAT song and they know it.
I didn't want to leave; I wanted to ask the waitress for more nickels and play MY song again again and again, but the adult in Zip said that we needed to go!
Well, we did go but NOT until "The Great Pretender" by the Platters was over. Because you see. . . I love THAT song too.

1 comment:

Char said...

I have so enjoyed following your blog and getting to know you better!

And, I would have done the same thing with the juke box...much to my hubby's embarrassment ;-)

Love "The Great Pretender"

HUGS
Char