Thursday, December 09, 2010

TAC Technique Blog Hop--Brayers!

Hello once again ma fellow stampers for another Angel Company Blog Hop!
This time, it's all about the BRAYER! Do you have one? Do you use it if you have one? If not, this blog hop is for you! Read on. . . There are many techniques you can do with the brayer but I'm going to focus on using the brayer to make some faux suede! Here's my card!
The cowboy boot has the look and feel of suede but it's really only paper and brown liquid applique. If you haven't tried this technique, go find some brown liquid applique (I know you have some!) and follow along with me!
There are many ways to make faux suede, but this is the way I do it.

I use a sheet of wax paper to drip my liquid applique on, then use the brayer to smooth it all out.

All nice and smooth.
Then, using the wax paper with smoothed out liquid applique as a pallette, I spread some onto cardstock using the brayer, then heat with a heat gun. I like leaving some parts of the cardstock without liquid applique, so don't think you HAVE to cover the entire piece of cardstock with liquid applique.
Here's a close-up of how it looks after you heat the liquid applique. Kewl, huh?

Another close-up with more white space.
So here, there's 3 different pieces of cardstock all with heated brown liquid applique on them. Once you make your faux suede sheets, you can stamp on it. I used our black pad, Noir (or you can use Memento black too).
I've stamped a boot (LOVE that set, Cowboy Boots) onto the faux suede.
I cut out the boot--all nice and purdy and colored some of the detailing with markers.
You can really see the faux suede here.

Sooooo, give it a try if you haven't. It's fun, quick and easy, and really does look and feel like suede. You can also try using white liquid applique for white bunnies, snow effects, things like that. Until next time, be sure to NOT squat with your spurs on, okay!?
Yuki

9 comments:

Chris said...

Thanks for showing it so clearly - I've always been too scared to try it but your boot is super cool!!

:)

Tricia T said...

Fun technique. It looks great!

Sandy said...

Cute Yuki!

Mischelle Smith said...

GREAT tutorial! I also LOVE your Christmas tree! Girl ... you have LOTS of beaded necklaces! I would have never guessed!

Karen said...

WOW! That looks like real leather

Unknown said...

Great suede boot!

Eva said...

LOVE IT! And all of your photos are awesome!

Debra Miller said...

Love the tutorial! What a great technique!

Sharon said...

Very nice; love your tutorial and the pics that you took. It really shows the effect.