Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Do you Letterbox???

Letterboxing is an outdoor hobby that combines elements of orienteering, art, and puzzle solving. Letterboxers hide small, weatherproof boxes in publicly-accessible places and distribute clues to finding the box on websites or by word of mouth. Individual letterboxes usually contain a notebook and a rubber stamp! Thanks to avid letterboxer, Bonnie (she's wearing a hat), I am now a letterboxer too. She gave me a notebook and started me off with HER stamp in my book. Our first letterboxing adventure was to several cemeteries in the San Antonio area.
On this particular day, the five of us (yes, five!!! HELLO!!! who do you think is taking the photos?) went to the Japanese Sunken Gardens in Breckenridge Park, off Broadway here in San Antonio. We found two letterboxes there and had a boat load of fun.
I had actually carved my own stamp too--it's a butterfly in this weird frame--it was my first and only attempt at carving so my stamp was pretty primitive-looking!
If you haven't tried letterboxing, what are you waiting for? There are letterboxes to be found everywhere in the United States. I bet there's one near you too!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! Thanks for posting our latest fun times!
rho

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!!! SOOOO MUCH FUN!
I need to see if there are any on south Padre Island! would be fun to find!
~Cyn

Susan said...

I've done a lot of letterboxing since about 2001 but no so much in the past 3 years. My letterboxing buddy quit on me and it's more fun with a friend. Susan