Saturday, May 17, 2008

I Like Flat!




If you were to call me a big fat chicken, I would have to agree with you! I am a chicken when it comes to high places. I don't like high places. On a pucker factor scale of 0 (being cool as a goose) to 10 (being tight as a wad), I'm probably a 14 when it comes to "being afraid of heights."
I like flat! Flat ground. Flat roads, Flat flat flat!!!!
There's a part of IH 10 in San Antonio where it goes UP in the air to connect to Loop 410. I try to avoid driving on that section of the highway as much as I can. It's just to fricking HIGH. It scares me. It makes my pucker factor go up considerably!!!!!
Well, today, we went to Mesa Verde National Park. My pucker factor went off the charts!!!!!!
Zip drove of course and I avoided looking "out." I hid my face inside a brochure so I couldn't see anything! We went up up up and some more up! It was awful.
When we got to the top of the mesa, I was a wreck. I needed a motion sickness pill or a stiff drink really badly.
We found the gift shop (oh yeah!) and I asked if they carried anything for motion sickness. NOPE! But the nice person behind the cash register could see how "green" I was and offered me some crystallized ginger. She said that it might help me!
I was willing to drink the blood of an ox, stand on one foot, rub my tummy raw, and buy all the T-shirts in the store if it would help me, so I took a piece of the ginger and started sucking away on it.
It was like candy! Rather sweet and good in a weird way.
By the time I started to feel better, it was time go back down the mesa! Just great! Going back down was just as bad as going up.
I remember when I was a kid, living in Italy. My parents would go on these driving trips up and down the mountains with my brother and I in the backseat of the car.
I barfed my way up and down those mountains. You know the saying--leave only footprints! HA! I left more than footprints in Europe, that's for sure!

Anyway, I'll spare you any further details of my Mesa Verde ordeal. Hope you enjoy some of the photos I took of the ancient dwellings!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am with you- I hate heights. And just looking at your photos, I could completely feel for you!!!
When I get on an airplane, I always ask for the window seat. But I don't know why because I don't like looking out when we are flying up. Once I am at the altitude we will stay, I am okay.